Subject: [PATCH v2 00/21] Refine memblock API

From: Mike Rapoport <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:03:47 +0200

Hi,

Current memblock API is quite extensive and, which is more annoying,
duplicated. Except the low-level functions that allow searching for a free
memory region and marking it as reserved, memblock provides three (well,
two and a half) sets of functions to allocate memory. There are several
overlapping functions that return a physical address and there are
functions that return virtual address. Those that return the virtual
address may also clear the allocated memory. And, on top of all that, some
allocators panic and some return NULL in case of error.

This set tries to reduce the mess, and trim down the amount of memblock
allocation methods.

Patches 1-10 consolidate the functions that return physical address of
the allocated memory

Patches 11-13 are some trivial cleanups

Patches 14-19 add checks for the return value of memblock_alloc*() and
panics in case of errors. The patches 14-18 include some minor refactoring
to have better readability of the resulting code and patch 19 is a
mechanical addition of

	if (!ptr)
		panic();

after memblock_alloc*() calls.

And, finally, patches 20 and 21 remove panic() calls memblock and _nopanic
variants from memblock.

v2 changes:
* replace some more %lu with %zu
* remove panics where they are not needed in s390 and in printk
* collect Acked-by and Reviewed-by.

Christophe Leroy (1):
  powerpc: use memblock functions returning virtual address

Mike Rapoport (20):
  openrisc: prefer memblock APIs returning virtual address
  memblock: replace memblock_alloc_base(ANYWHERE) with memblock_phys_alloc
  memblock: drop memblock_alloc_base_nid()
  memblock: emphasize that memblock_alloc_range() returns a physical address
  memblock: memblock_phys_alloc_try_nid(): don't panic
  memblock: memblock_phys_alloc(): don't panic
  memblock: drop __memblock_alloc_base()
  memblock: drop memblock_alloc_base()
  memblock: refactor internal allocation functions
  memblock: make memblock_find_in_range_node() and choose_memblock_flags() static
  arch: use memblock_alloc() instead of memblock_alloc_from(size, align, 0)
  arch: don't memset(0) memory returned by memblock_alloc()
  ia64: add checks for the return value of memblock_alloc*()
  sparc: add checks for the return value of memblock_alloc*()
  mm/percpu: add checks for the return value of memblock_alloc*()
  init/main: add checks for the return value of memblock_alloc*()
  swiotlb: add checks for the return value of memblock_alloc*()
  treewide: add checks for the return value of memblock_alloc*()
  memblock: memblock_alloc_try_nid: don't panic
  memblock: drop memblock_alloc_*_nopanic() variants

 arch/alpha/kernel/core_cia.c              |   5 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/core_marvel.c           |   6 +
 arch/alpha/kernel/pci-noop.c              |  13 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/pci.c                   |  11 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/pci_iommu.c             |  16 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/setup.c                 |   2 +-
 arch/arc/kernel/unwind.c                  |   3 +-
 arch/arc/mm/highmem.c                     |   4 +
 arch/arm/kernel/setup.c                   |   6 +
 arch/arm/mm/init.c                        |   6 +-
 arch/arm/mm/mmu.c                         |  14 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/setup.c                 |   8 +-
 arch/arm64/mm/kasan_init.c                |  10 ++
 arch/arm64/mm/mmu.c                       |   2 +
 arch/arm64/mm/numa.c                      |   4 +
 arch/c6x/mm/dma-coherent.c                |   4 +
 arch/c6x/mm/init.c                        |   4 +-
 arch/csky/mm/highmem.c                    |   5 +
 arch/h8300/mm/init.c                      |   4 +-
 arch/ia64/kernel/mca.c                    |  25 +--
 arch/ia64/mm/contig.c                     |   8 +-
 arch/ia64/mm/discontig.c                  |   4 +
 arch/ia64/mm/init.c                       |  38 ++++-
 arch/ia64/mm/tlb.c                        |   6 +
 arch/ia64/sn/kernel/io_common.c           |   3 +
 arch/ia64/sn/kernel/setup.c               |  12 +-
 arch/m68k/atari/stram.c                   |   4 +
 arch/m68k/mm/init.c                       |   3 +
 arch/m68k/mm/mcfmmu.c                     |   7 +-
 arch/m68k/mm/motorola.c                   |   9 ++
 arch/m68k/mm/sun3mmu.c                    |   6 +
 arch/m68k/sun3/sun3dvma.c                 |   3 +
 arch/microblaze/mm/init.c                 |  10 +-
 arch/mips/cavium-octeon/dma-octeon.c      |   3 +
 arch/mips/kernel/setup.c                  |   3 +
 arch/mips/kernel/traps.c                  |   5 +-
 arch/mips/mm/init.c                       |   5 +
 arch/nds32/mm/init.c                      |  12 ++
 arch/openrisc/mm/init.c                   |   5 +-
 arch/openrisc/mm/ioremap.c                |   8 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/dt_cpu_ftrs.c         |   8 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/irq.c                 |   5 -
 arch/powerpc/kernel/paca.c                |   6 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/pci_32.c              |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/prom.c                |   5 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c                |   6 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/setup-common.c        |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/setup_32.c            |  26 ++--
 arch/powerpc/kernel/setup_64.c            |   4 +
 arch/powerpc/lib/alloc.c                  |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/mm/hash_utils_64.c           |  11 +-
 arch/powerpc/mm/mmu_context_nohash.c      |   9 ++
 arch/powerpc/mm/numa.c                    |   4 +
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-book3e.c          |  12 +-
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-book3s64.c        |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-radix.c           |   9 +-
 arch/powerpc/mm/ppc_mmu_32.c              |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pasemi/iommu.c     |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/nvram.c   |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/opal.c     |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/pci-ioda.c |   8 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3/setup.c        |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/sysdev/dart_iommu.c          |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/sysdev/msi_bitmap.c          |   3 +
 arch/s390/kernel/crash_dump.c             |   3 +
 arch/s390/kernel/setup.c                  |  16 ++
 arch/s390/kernel/smp.c                    |   9 +-
 arch/s390/kernel/topology.c               |   6 +
 arch/s390/numa/mode_emu.c                 |   3 +
 arch/s390/numa/numa.c                     |   6 +-
 arch/sh/boards/mach-ap325rxa/setup.c      |   5 +-
 arch/sh/boards/mach-ecovec24/setup.c      |  10 +-
 arch/sh/boards/mach-kfr2r09/setup.c       |   5 +-
 arch/sh/boards/mach-migor/setup.c         |   5 +-
 arch/sh/boards/mach-se/7724/setup.c       |  10 +-
 arch/sh/kernel/machine_kexec.c            |   3 +-
 arch/sh/mm/init.c                         |   8 +-
 arch/sh/mm/numa.c                         |   4 +
 arch/sparc/kernel/prom_32.c               |   6 +-
 arch/sparc/kernel/setup_64.c              |   6 +
 arch/sparc/kernel/smp_64.c                |  12 ++
 arch/sparc/mm/init_32.c                   |   2 +-
 arch/sparc/mm/init_64.c                   |  11 ++
 arch/sparc/mm/srmmu.c                     |  18 ++-
 arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c                |   3 +
 arch/um/drivers/vector_kern.c             |   3 +
 arch/um/kernel/initrd.c                   |   2 +
 arch/um/kernel/mem.c                      |  16 ++
 arch/unicore32/kernel/setup.c             |   4 +
 arch/unicore32/mm/mmu.c                   |  15 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.c               |   3 +
 arch/x86/kernel/apic/io_apic.c            |   5 +
 arch/x86/kernel/e820.c                    |   5 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/setup_percpu.c            |  10 +-
 arch/x86/mm/kasan_init_64.c               |  14 +-
 arch/x86/mm/numa.c                        |  12 +-
 arch/x86/platform/olpc/olpc_dt.c          |   3 +
 arch/x86/xen/p2m.c                        |  11 +-
 arch/xtensa/mm/kasan_init.c               |  10 +-
 arch/xtensa/mm/mmu.c                      |   3 +
 drivers/clk/ti/clk.c                      |   3 +
 drivers/firmware/memmap.c                 |   2 +-
 drivers/macintosh/smu.c                   |   5 +-
 drivers/of/fdt.c                          |   8 +-
 drivers/of/of_reserved_mem.c              |   7 +-
 drivers/of/unittest.c                     |   8 +-
 drivers/usb/early/xhci-dbc.c              |   2 +-
 drivers/xen/swiotlb-xen.c                 |   7 +-
 include/linux/memblock.h                  |  59 +------
 init/main.c                               |  26 +++-
 kernel/dma/swiotlb.c                      |  21 ++-
 kernel/power/snapshot.c                   |   3 +
 kernel/printk/printk.c                    |   9 +-
 lib/cpumask.c                             |   3 +
 mm/cma.c                                  |  10 +-
 mm/kasan/init.c                           |  10 +-
 mm/memblock.c                             | 249 ++++++++++--------------------
 mm/page_alloc.c                           |  10 +-
 mm/page_ext.c                             |   2 +-
 mm/percpu.c                               |  84 +++++++---
 mm/sparse.c                               |  25 ++-
 121 files changed, 860 insertions(+), 412 deletions(-)

-- 
2.7.4