Subject: Re: Kernel panic when loading the IDE controller driver

From: sgosavi1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 05:53:06 -0700 (MST)

> Why using 4.15.13 which is obsolete instead of using one of the Long 
> Term Support versions which are still maintained, like 4.14 or 4.19 ? 
> (see the complete list at https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html)

Well, when I started this task 4.15.13 was probably the latest stable
release and hence we decided to port this version. In the older kernel, we
have the m8260_setup.c source file for our board where the function
"io_block_mapping" was used to configure the non-standard IO port address
starting at 0xe0000000 location. This address was passed as the base address
followed by control address and IRQ number to the ide-core.ko module. In the
new kernel we do not have an option to send these addresses and IRQ numbers
as arguments to the driver. Instead the ide-generic.c source file in the new
kernel uses the standard IO port values and IRQ values. I modified the code
in the above file to used the addresses and IRQ number we used in the past.
Also, added code in the "MMU_init" function call available under
arch/PowerPC/init_32.c to setup the IO port address range by adding the
"io_block_mapping" call and the required IO port address range.

Is there anything else that needs to be added or how can we configure the
desired IO address range in the new kernel?

Thanks,
Sachin

--
Sent from: http://linuxppc.10917.n7.nabble.com/linuxppc-dev-f3.html