Subject: Patch "powerpc/64: Use barrier_nospec in syscall entry" has been added to the 4.4-stable tree

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 11:51:22 +0200

This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

    powerpc/64: Use barrier_nospec in syscall entry

to the 4.4-stable tree which can be found at:
    http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary

The filename of the patch is:
     powerpc-64-use-barrier_nospec-in-syscall-entry.patch
and it can be found in the queue-4.4 subdirectory.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
please let <[email-masked]> know about it.

>From foo@baz Mon 29 Apr 2019 11:38:37 AM CEST
From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 00:20:14 +1000
Subject: powerpc/64: Use barrier_nospec in syscall entry
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>

commit 51973a815c6b46d7b23b68d6af371ad1c9d503ca upstream.

Our syscall entry is done in assembly so patch in an explicit
barrier_nospec.

Based on a patch by Michal Suchanek.

Signed-off-by: Michal Suchanek <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_64.S |   10 ++++++++++
 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+)

--- a/arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_64.S
+++ b/arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_64.S
@@ -36,6 +36,7 @@
 #include <asm/hw_irq.h>
 #include <asm/context_tracking.h>
 #include <asm/tm.h>
+#include <asm/barrier.h>
 #ifdef CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3S
 #include <asm/exception-64s.h>
 #else
@@ -177,6 +178,15 @@ system_call:			/* label this so stack tr
 	clrldi	r8,r8,32
 15:
 	slwi	r0,r0,4
+
+	barrier_nospec_asm
+	/*
+	 * Prevent the load of the handler below (based on the user-passed
+	 * system call number) being speculatively executed until the test
+	 * against NR_syscalls and branch to .Lsyscall_enosys above has
+	 * committed.
+	 */
+
 	ldx	r12,r11,r0	/* Fetch system call handler [ptr] */
 	mtctr   r12
 	bctrl			/* Call handler */

Patches currently in stable-queue which might be from [email-masked] are

queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-add-support-for-a-store-forwarding-barrier-at-kernel-entry-exit.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64-make-stf-barrier-ppc_book3s_64-specific.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-pseries-set-or-clear-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-fix-spectre_v2-mitigations-reporting.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-patch-barrier_nospec-in-modules.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-pseries-support-firmware-disable-of-rfi-flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-rfi-flush-call-setup_rfi_flush-after-lpm-migration.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-pseries-query-hypervisor-for-count-cache-flush-settings.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-powernv-set-or-clear-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-add-support-for-software-count-cache-flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc64s-show-ori31-availability-in-spectre_v1-sysfs-file-not-v2.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-flush-the-branch-predictor-at-each-kernel-entry-64bit.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-update-spectre-v2-reporting.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-wire-up-cpu_show_spectre_v2.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64-make-meltdown-reporting-book3s-64-specific.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-rfi-flush-make-it-possible-to-call-setup_rfi_flush-again.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-add-support-for-ori-barrier_nospec-patching.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-use-barrier_nospec-in-copy_from_user.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-fix-section-mismatch-warnings-from-setup_rfi_flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-avoid-code-patching-freed-init-sections.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-add-macro-to-flush-the-branch-predictor.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-xmon-add-rfi-flush-related-fields-to-paca-dump.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-add-barrier_nospec-implementation-for-nxp-powerpc-book3e.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-security-fix-spectre_v2-reporting.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-add-security-feature-flags-for-spectre-meltdown.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-powernv-use-the-security-flags-in-pnv_setup_rfi_flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64-disable-the-speculation-barrier-from-the-command-line.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-fix-the-flush-of-branch-predictor.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-pseries-use-the-security-flags-in-pseries_setup_rfi_flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64-add-config_ppc_barrier_nospec.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-move-cpu_show_meltdown.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64-use-barrier_nospec-in-syscall-entry.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-add-nospectre_v2-command-line-argument.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-add-new-security-feature-flags-for-count-cache-flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-fsl-add-infrastructure-to-fixup-branch-predictor-flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-rfi-flush-differentiate-enabled-and-patched-flush-types.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-enhance-the-information-in-cpu_show_spectre_v1.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64-call-setup_barrier_nospec-from-setup_arch.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-rfi-flush-always-enable-fallback-flush-on-pseries.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-improve-rfi-l1-d-cache-flush-fallback.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-asm-add-a-patch_site-macro-helpers-for-patching-instructions.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-pseries-add-new-h_get_cpu_characteristics-flags.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-enable-barrier_nospec-based-on-firmware-settings.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-powernv-support-firmware-disable-of-rfi-flush.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-rfi-flush-move-the-logic-to-avoid-a-redo-into-the-debugfs-code.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-powernv-query-firmware-for-count-cache-flush-settings.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-wire-up-cpu_show_spectre_v1.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-add-barrier_nospec.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-64s-enhance-the-information-in-cpu_show_meltdown.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-move-default-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-pseries-fix-clearing-of-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.4/powerpc-pseries-restore-default-security-feature-flags-on-setup.patch