Subject: Re: ipv6 in yaboot

From: Doug Maxey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:37:56 -0500

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:03:12 +1000, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Doug Maxey writes:
> 
> > I just got asked about ipv6 support in yaboot and a quick investigation
> > showed _no_ knowledge of the address formats in the code.
> > 
> > Should I be submitting an RFC for a full parser that can pick that 
> > apart?  Or does has someone have code lurking in the shadows, that 
> > just needed some prompting?  :)
> 
> I would have thought that yaboot would just be passing any network
> addresses in text form to some OF method, so it's up to OF to
> understand ipv6 address formats.  No?

Yes, yaboot _should_ just pass the text representation around.  
However, there are places that the context determination, for 
disklabels, is a simple check for the presence of ':'.  

When I did the original work for building in the tests for determining
if the network device was really an iscsi block device, I may have been
over-concerned that the non-disklabel parts of the IQN, which can and
does have colons, could confuse the parsing.  In the block device path,
there was only a single questionable use.  That usage was fixed by
switching from strchr() to strrchr().

I expect the same syntax issues for the pure network side, as there is
no chance to not take the network path for a pure ipv6 network boot.
In my mind anyway.  Which is always questionable.  ;)

++doug