Subject: Re: Restructure of arch/ppc/kernel and include/asm-ppc

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:54:18 +0100

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>For PPC, we would need different MILO images for the different machine types.
>The kernel can be ELF on all machine types, since we put an ELF loader in
>MILO.
>MILO doesn't need much fancy driver stuff, just SCSI/IDE, floppy,
keyboard and
>a simple console (serial, VGA text, offb). And BootX can become some special
>variant of MILO :-)

This could be a good idea since it would fix a big outstanding issue: The
inability of MacOS VM to lock contiguously enough space for the kernel
and ramdisk in lots of cases (the -622 error most people with virtual
memory ON are experiencing). If the booter was itself a nini-kernel that
takes care of further loading of the real kernel and ramdisk, this issue
would probably disappear.

Another thing that Paul and I are trying to define and implement: A way
to completely boot from a disk image on the HFS volume (and eventually
use this image as the read/write root volume). This would allow
installations of Linux on top of macos without reformatting &
repartitioning the hard disk.

-- 
           E-Mail: <mailto:[email-masked]>
BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-dev  if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. To unsubscribe from linuxppc-dev, send ]]
[[ the message 'unsubscribe' to [email-masked] ]]