Subject: Great IDE perf (WAS: Strange PMAC IDE performance)

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:02:22 +0100

On Wed, Jan 6, 1999, Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I found a register at 0xf3020200 on my powermac G3 which affects the
>speed of disk transfers.  This is at offset 0x200 from the base
>address of the IDE interface and it is a 32-bit little-endian
>register.  After booting Linux, it has 0x2f8526 in it, but under MacOS
>it has 0x211025.  Putting 0x211025 in (with xmon) increased the speed
>reported by hdparm -tT /dev/hda from 1.89MB/s to 9.7MB/s !  The disk
>is a WDC 24300ACL (as reported by hdparm -i /dev/hda).  The other
>hdparm settings were -d1 -u1 -m16.

I tried the manipulation with xmon on my wallstreet PowerBook, using
today's vger 2.2-pre4 and hdparam test jumped from 1.88Mb/s to 6.3MB/s
!!! (At first, I forgot to flush the caches, so I got 50Mb/s ;-)

Also, the register is replicated all the way from +0x200 to +0x3FF so it
looks like it's really a single register sitting there.

That's great !

-- 
           E-Mail: <mailto:[email-masked]>
BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-dev  if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. To unsubscribe from linuxppc-dev, send ]]
[[ the message 'unsubscribe' to [email-masked] ]]