Subject: Re: Strange tar hang....

From: Michel Lanners <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:44:12 +0100 (CET)

An additional thought crossed my mind....

On  10 Jan, this message from Joel Klecker echoed through cyberspace:
> tar tries to look up UIDs and GIDs in the tar file and match them to 
> local users. With the default /etc/nsswitch.conf, it will end up 
> trying NIS and other services.

Ah, /etc/nsswitch.conf. So it was the glibc package that made the
timeout reappear! In fact, I did just upgrade glibc before I saw the
timeout again...

Thanks

Michel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michel Lanners                 |  " Read Philosophy.  Study Art.
9, Montee St. Crepin           |    Ask Questions.  Make Mistakes.
L-1365 Luxembourg              |
email   [email-masked]            |
http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan        |                     Learn Always. "

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-dev  if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. To unsubscribe from linuxppc-dev, send ]]
[[ the message 'unsubscribe' to [email-masked] ]]