Subject: Re: Trying a Promise Ultra/66 on powerpc

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:16:32 +0200

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999, Michel Lanners <[email-masked]> wrote:

>It seems that OpenFirmware is not doing its job well in initializing all
>PCI devices.For the planb driver, which uses an onboard PCI device
>(video input) known to OF (i.e Apple device), I need to set
>PCI_COMMAND_MEMORY | PCI_COMMAND_MASTER | PCI_COMMAND_INVALIDATE. Or is
>it just a problem with IO space enabling, and memory is already
>switched on by OF?

OF will not enable memory space if there's no OF boot code on the board.
I beleive it doesn the same with IO space (but I didn't check). The lack
of PCI_COMMAND_INVALIDATE can be considered as an OF bug if the card
already has PCI_COMMAND_MASTER set as a default. I think the kernel
should add this to all devices at fixup time. (It should be harmless for
non-master devices anyway).

-- 
           Perso. e-mail: <mailto:[email-masked]>
           Work   e-mail: <mailto:[email-masked]>
BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list.  Replies are ]]
[[ not  forced  back  to the list, so be sure to Cc linuxppc-dev if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. Please check http://lists.linuxppc.org/ ]]
[[ and http://www.linuxppc.org/ for useful information before posting.   ]]