Subject: Re: Communicator Crashes X II

From: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:48:26 +1000

Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Perhaps the kernel spends too much time in the interrupt handling section of
> the IDE driver? We saw similar things on m68k.

Or the SCSI code.  I recently converted the mesh and mac53c94 drivers
to use the `new-style' error handling (it didn't take as much hacking
as I had expected).  One result is that the command-done processing in
the scsi mid-layer gets done in a BH handler rather than in an
interrupt handler with interrupts disabled.  I noticed that I got far
fewer serial overruns with the new code during disk activity.

I don't see the FB. overflow messages, but then I don't run the serial
port at 115200, only at 57600.  Is it a common feature that people who
see the FB. overflow message are running the serial port at 115200 or
230400 baud?

Paul.

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list.  Replies are ]]
[[ not  forced  back  to the list, so be sure to Cc linuxppc-dev if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. Please check http://lists.linuxppc.org/ ]]
[[ and http://www.linuxppc.org/ for useful information before posting.   ]]