Subject: Re: question about altivec registers

From: Jim Terman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:31:48 -0700 (PDT)

I understand how to get it working from the processor point of view.  I 
just want to make sure that the linuxppc kernal will not interfere if I 
compile a program that uses these registers.

The bottom line is that I am not looking for any help with the altivec
registers from the kernal.  I just want to be sure that there will not
be any inteference.  If not, great.  I'd just like that insurance.
Thanks for any clarification you can give me.

Claude Robitaille writes:
> There is a flag for that purpose. You should look into the Altivec
> environment on Motorola's Web site, or at www.altivec.org
> 
> Claude
> 
> 
> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Jim Terman wrote:
> 
> > 
> > I have a question about using the altivec registers on a G4 Macintosh
> > running linuxppc.  Will there be any conflicts.  I don't expect any
> > kernal support, but can I be confident that the kernal will not touch
> > any of the altivec registers.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.
> > 
> > -- 
> > ______________________________________________________________________________
> > Jim Terman       |   323 Vintage Park Dr.   |   Voice: (650) 356-5446
> > [email-masked]   |   Foster City, CA        |   Fax:   (650) 356-5490
> > Diab-SDS, Inc.   |   94404                  |   web site - http://www.ddi.com
> > 
> > 
> 
> 
-- 
______________________________________________________________________________
Jim Terman       |   323 Vintage Park Dr.   |   Voice: (650) 356-5446
[email-masked]   |   Foster City, CA        |   Fax:   (650) 356-5490
Diab-SDS, Inc.   |   94404                  |   web site - http://www.ddi.com

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/