Subject: Re: [OT] dual 8500

From: Brad Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 02:56:23 -0800 (PST)

Momchil 'Velco' Velikov wrote:
> Does anyone of you have any experience (either good or bad)
> with PowerMac 8500 with dual-processor card and Linux ?

I have both good and bad experiences with dual processor cards,
although I was using a 7600.  When it works, it is wonderful, but
it occasionally gets confused in interesting ways.  It seems to be
very sensitive to everything, and I had to rearrange the RAM in
the slots to get Linux to work.  It somtimes requires the MacOS
extensions to load to reinitialize stuff if it crashes in a bad
state.  It will make Linux much faster, tho.  I replaced a 132MHz
604 board with a dual 200MHz 604e one and it was a very nice change.

> I intend to obtain one, but I definitely want to run
> Linux on it. I don't care much if MacOS doesn't work
> on such a machine.

They work fine in the MacOS, but you won't see much improvement
on most things.

	Brad Boyer
	[email-masked]

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/