Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] qemu platform, v2

From: Milton Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 04:48:23 -0500

On Sep 24, 2007, at 2:46 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:00:47PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
>> Basically because PReP support doesn't work under arch/powerpc.
>> Getting it working properly is something that should happen, but will
>> take a while.  In the meantime, getting something that's sufficient to
>> get working under just qemu's version of prep, without using the
>> abominable openhackware is a quicker path to a usable arch/powerpc
>> kernel under qemu.
>
> Sounds fair.  Care to add something like this to the Kconfig help
> text?

I suppose I could, but actually I wasn't asking for the two qemu 
patches to be merged.  Instead I was posting "here's something that 
provides minimal function for me, hope you can use it too".  For 
instance, someone should track down pci memory so that ohci and/or 
video works.  Then test the isa ne2ks, or better yet get qemu to change 
them to pci (except then it only works on the latest qemu).

I didn't put it under prep because it could be changed for the other 
qemu platforms and doesn't use any thing that makes the machine prep 
other than some memory map information.  I kept prep because I didn't 
want to deal with io to the scc on b&w G3, the other long-term platform 
(or with hackware to see if that would just boot as pmac).

milton