Subject: Re:New Java for MkLinux/linuxPPC? - YES!

From: Kevin_Hendricks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:30:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

>What exactly are these?
>FTP Directory: ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/java/JDK-1.2.2/ppc/rc4/
>    Parent Directory
>    README-rc4 . . . . . . . . . . .  [Feb  8 00:35]      6k
>    jdk-1.2.2-RC4-glibc-2.1.3.md5. .  [Feb  8 00:35]      1k
>    jdk-1.2.2-RC4-linux-ppc-glibc-2.1.3.sh
>                                     [Feb  8 00:38]  19611k
>    jdk-1.2.2-RC4-linux-ppc-glibc-2.1.3.tar.bz2
>                                     [Feb  8 00:40]  17859k
>    jdk-debug-1.2.2-RC4-linux-ppc-glibc-2.1.3.sh
>                                     [Feb  8 00:41]   5582k
>    jdk-debug-1.2.2-RC4-linux-ppc-glibc-2.1.3.tar.bz2
>                                     [Feb  8 00:42]   4071k
>    jre-1.2.2-RC4-linux-ppc-glibc-2.1.3.sh
>                                     [Feb  8 00:43]  10497k
>    jre-1.2.2-RC4-linux-ppc-glibc-2.1.3.tar.bz2
>                                     [Feb  8 00:45]   9523k

They are the very latest Blackdown release of the jdk 1.2.2 which match the most
current Blackdown x86 release.  You can choose from a self-extracting shell
archive (the .sh,...but download them as binary) or the more traditional archive
types).

Although I am semi-retired from the Blackdown team, I still help out on
occaission.  The last remaining active Blackdown porting team member for ppc
(one of the founding ppc porters in fact) is Scott Huttinger who is now in
charge of making ppc jdk releases.

He chose to use the Blackdown mirror sites to release it because I have not yet
had a chance to get him the permissions and an account on www.linuxppc.org so
that he can update the http://www.linuxppc.org/java/

In fact, Scott is now very busy helping to support two JDK ports (arm and ppc)
all alone.  So if someone would volunteer to keep http://www.linuxppc/org/java/
up to date with releases and things I am sure that would be a big help to Scott!

I promised him I would update the site and give him the password but I have been
abit busy and just have not had the chance (I did not realize the Blackdown
mirrors already had the ppc binaries!).

Feel free to download from any of the Blackdown mirror sites until I get a
chance to update our local site and get Scott the password.

Take care,

Kevin

--
Kevin B. Hendricks
Associate Professor of Operations and Information Technology
Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario  N6A-3K7  CANADA
[email-masked], (519) 661-3874, fax: 519-661-3959

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/