Subject: Re: compiling glibc for 4xx core powerpc

From: Alan Mimms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 02:15:27 GMT

Hi Ben.

Take a look at
http://members.xoom.com/greyhams/linux/PowerPC-Embedded-HOWTO.html
which is a compilation of lots of useful FAQ info, including the
answer(s) to the problems you're having.

a

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 3/14/00, 6:02:35 PM, ben bodley <[email-masked]> wrote regarding
compiling glibc for 4xx core powerpc:

> hello all..

> i am attempting to compile glibc for my platform (4xx core powerpc)
and
> as this core doesnt have an fpu, am compiling with -msoft-float.. but
it
> dont work.. during compile i receive this error:

> ../sysdeps/powerpc/s_isnan.c:27: Invalid `asm' statement:
> ../sysdeps/powerpc/s_isnan.c:27: fixed or forbidden register 32 (0)
was
> spilled for class FLOAT_REGS.

> (this occurs on an attempted assemble of a fpu instruction)

> my system specs are:
>  - compiling with gcc 2.95.2 native on powermac g4
>  - glibc 2.1.3
>  - kernel(powermac)=2.2.15pre14
>  - kernel(4xx)=2.3.42 + patches
>  - glibc configure options: configure --target=powerpc-linux
> --host=powerpc-linux
>      --enable-add-ons=crypt, linuxthreads --prefix=/usr/local/ppc403
> --without-fp
>  - CFLAGS extras: -msoft-float -DNDEBUG=1 -O2

> does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?? will i have to add
some
> sort of software emulated floating point support in the kernel (use
8xx
> emu)?? or am i just missing a compiler option??

> is it worth using this late revision of glibc, or am i better off to
use
> an earlier/simpler revision??

> cheers for any insights!

> ben

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/