Subject: Re: aty128fb patch on iMac DV

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:48:15 +0100

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000, Matt Brubeck <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Note that it didn't work for me the first time round.  I had to specify
>> only 'video=aty128fb' without any more arguments for it to work.  For some
>> reason if I specify the res & bit depth my monitor goes black when
>> starting X.  OTOH I'm not exactly using a DV either, mine is a Blueberry
>> iMac 350, should be similar.  Using yaboot of course.
>
>Okay, I got it to (mostly) work. The culprits seemed to be
>CONFIG_FB_COMPAT_XPMAC; removing that option from my kernel config allowed
>me to properly switch to all color depths. The fb console has several
>weird effects when switching vts (displaying garbage briefly during the
>switch; cursor changing color), but Xfree 4.0 runs perfectly.
>
>Only other problem is that the geometry is off. The picture is shifted a
>couple pixels offscreen to the left in 16-bit mode, and even farther in
>32-bit. But this is definitely a big step forward.
>
>[I'm on a blueberry 350 iMac as well.]

Simply adding the XPMAC compat. option should not harm... I'll looks if I
see a bug related to it.

For the geometry problem, I beleive the modelines used by Apple for the
iMac are a bit different than the ones in the standard base we use. You
should be able to adjust your XFree modelines.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/