Subject: Re: Pismo status

From: Ethan Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 21:17:20 -0800

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 02:01:25PM -0700, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
[snip]

> >  Concerning computers,
> >  and Linux, it is running this OS that the situation improved, as far
> >  as Intel processors are concerned. I can say that the cpus, before
> >  the advent of the caged P-II, where so cold that I could safaly touch
> >  them. This was, again, using Linux. Using MS-Windows, instead, I
> >  could *not* do the similar thing for sure.
> 
> So you never did anything processor intensive under Linux, eh?

i think what he is refering to is when left idle an intel box running
linux will be MUCH cooler then it is when running MS-WinBloat.
apparently the linux kernel will issue a `hlt' instruction to the
processor when there is nothing to do, this puts the processor to
sleep or low power mode.  MS-Windows on the other hand always runs in
a very tight active loop keeping the processor running full tilt all
the time.  at least this is something i read somewhere feel free to
ignore/write off as total bullshi* ;-)

[snip]
> If you're talking about desktop machines where cooling systems are 
> much easier, you're nuts.  Look at the heatsink and fan on a Pentium 
> II, then look at the heatsink on a G3 (comparable processors; a G3 is 
> about as fast as the next speed grade up of PII, e.g. 266 G3 is about 
> equal to 300 PII).  Apple doesn't even have to put a fan on the 
> heatsink (all they need is airflow created by the power supply or 
> case fan), and it's a hell of a lot smaller than the PII heatsink.

then look at the heat sync on a G4 -- friggen monster about the size
of a video tape ;-)

[snip]

-- 
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/