Subject: Re: X still locks up

From: "Iain Sandoe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 21:56:31 +0100

Sun, Jul 9, 2000, 20:24 Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Gwyn Judd wrote:
>
>> When I tried to play an mp3 through xmms X locked up completely although I
>> was able to change VT's, however I was unable to kill X or reboot properly.

another thought - Which version of XMMS ?

> Strange, if X hangs you actually shouldn't be able to switch VT...

True...

More info.

I observed an effect (*before* doing the back-port) that when I reduced the
buffer size to minimum X ran like treacle (ATI Mach64 + G3 shouldn't be)...
could (just) possibly look a little like a lock-up if the machine was
slower...

Update:

I just used the back-ported drivers to run Benno Senoner's latency test code
- which simultaneously stresses various parts of the system whilst playing
sound...  The includes running x11perf.

No problems here... (the results are not so good but that's another
story)...

I might leave Benno's test running overnight to see if I can get the 'lock'
effect - but I've been hammering this system (with complies, debugs, find /,
netscape etc. etc.) and can't replicate the problem.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/