Subject: Re: Platform configuration (was: Re: CONFIG_PPC != Mac)

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:19:17 +0200

>Yeah, well, I am used to continually losing this battle.  Although
>embedded PowerPC is likely to have _lots_ more installations than
>the desktop, we'll just survive on the pieces left behind.  A pretty
>running desktop gets lots of press coverage while code that acutally
>runs the infrastructure of the world is unknown (I guess we are doing
>a great job, then :-).
>
>I am just happy that I can finally build a kernel for the MPC8xx that
>doesn't require I configure an ADB keyboard.  I also like building the
>same sources for all of my Mac workstations and servers as well.

In the current bk, I made sure you can compile without ADB (even for
pmac), without the backlight stuffs, etc...

>I would also like to see us spend a little more time trying to
>stabilize 2.4 instead of trying to solve elaborate configuration and
>boot schemes.  That is what 2.5 is for.

Agreed.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/