Subject: Re: MacOS X and yaboot wars.

From: Ethan Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:54:44 -0800

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 06:04:02PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
> Their installer does something weird, indeed. It tends to randomly make
> another partition of the target disk "vanish". The partition (typically,
> the HFS "exchange" partition people keep around) does not appear any more
> in the MacOS 9 Finder nor in the file selection dialogs. It still mounts
> in Linux and MacOS X.

another thing i thought of, does OSX still use a bootstrap partition
of its own? (it must if you choose UFS instead of HFS+) perhaps its
reordering the partition table to make its partition first instead of
ours?  this can be changed back in mac-fisk/pdisk with the `r'
command.  then again it could just be doing the same inspect and
debless crap macos is notorious for, a rerun of ybin will fix that.
(if the BSD layer remains sufficiently intact in OSX final i may see
about getting ybin working from the OSX side, but that depends on
whether i can get access to OSX or not)

> Apparently, the problem seem to be related to the installer setting the
> "invisible" bit of the toplevel (root) directory entry of the HFS volume.
> The partition is actually mounted, but invisible. I "fixed" mine using
> Norton Disk Editor (Norton Utilities), but there might be other ways.

hmount /dev/foo
hattrib -i :
humount /dev/foo

will fix that from the linux side.  though linux ignores that bit.

that is odd and disconcerting that its tampering with other partitions
like that, i hope its a bug that will be removed in the next beta
rather then intentional.  

as for the invisible bit on the root, macos still mounts the disk, but
since the root directory is invisable it does not show it anywhere.  i
used to do this to people's floppies as a joke ;-)

-- 
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/