Subject: Re: PPC sysdep additions & problem

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:22:27 +0200

>
>Note that so far, I had some problems loading binaries if I add
>3 entries to the aux table from the kernel with numbers 1000,1001,1002.
>I'm not sure what would have caused binaries not to load properly
>(apparently, their command line gets screwed, I'm not too sure yet).
>The glibc code that fills the "seen" mask definitely couldn't set
>bits for those entries, but this shouldn't have caused any problem.

Correcting myself, the behaviour of 1<<X with X>31 beeing undefined, the
compiler was free to do a modulo, and so caused some real "seen" bits to
be garbled.

So I would suggest modifying slightly glibc to not mask bits above 31,
thus allowing platform-specific high-value tags to be passed there in
the future.

In the meantime, I still need a <31 number allocated for those cache
line sizes ;)

Ben.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/