Subject: Re: Flash Driver

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:28:44 +0200

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:
>
> Can someone tell me how to set up and use the flash driver in the 2.4.x
> Linux kernel. I see a CFI and non-CFI support for the AMD flash chips. I

You mean the driver we maintain?

> am using an AMD flash chip on my board. Which one of the drivers do I
> load? How are these initialized?

For AMD chips, configure:

	CONFIG_FLASH=y
	CONFIG_AMD_FLASH=y

Add a "partition" scheme for your board to "drivers/char/flash_config.c";
see the comment in this file.

There is no more configuration needed (assuming you are booting  from
PPCBoot, which will pass the necessary parameters to the Linux kernel
[physical start address and size of the flash memory]).

> I have not been able to find any documentation on this. Any help is very
> appreciated.

Just ask :-)

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: [email-masked]
Q: How do you spell "onomatopoeia"?
A: The way it sounds.

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/