Subject: Menuconfig choking on undefined reference to `acs_map'

From: "Boerner, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:07:18 -0400

So, this is a really stupid question, but it looks like menuconfig is
failing all of a sudden. I say that because this used to work fine.
Unfortunately this system is used by a number of people and what happens to
it is out of my control. So it's failing to find the acs_map symbol in the
libncurses.a library. A quick look at libncurses.a shows that it does
exists:

$ nm -v libncurses.a | grep acs
         U _acs_mapf
         U _acs_mapf
         U __nc_init_acs
         U _acs_mapf
         U _acs_mapf
lib_acs.o:
00000000 d _acs_map
00000000 T _acs_mapf
0000000c T __nc_init_acs
00001174 t _append_acs0
000011a4 t _append_acs

I've even tried just adding /lib/libncurses.a instead of using -lncurses,
but it's still busted. I'm sure there is a simple solution to this that I'm
just not seeing. Can someone give me a clue; I feel like it's Monday.

Compiler output follows...

-bmb

$ make menuconfig
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-ppc asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory
`/views/bmb_linux_dbg2/LINUX/linuxppc/linux-2.4.1-pre10/scripts/lxdialog'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o checklist.o
checklist.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o menubox.o menubox.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o textbox.o textbox.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o yesno.o yesno.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o inputbox.o
inputbox.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o util.o util.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o lxdialog.o
lxdialog.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE
-I/usr/include/ncurses -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c -o msgbox.o msgbox.c
gcc -o lxdialog checklist.o menubox.o textbox.o yesno.o inputbox.o util.o
lxdialog.o msgbox.o -lncurses
Warning: resolving _COLS by linking to __imp__COLS (auto-import)
Warning: resolving _LINES by linking to __imp__LINES (auto-import)
Warning: resolving _stdscr by linking to __imp__stdscr (auto-import)
checklist.o(.text+0x174):checklist.c: undefined reference to `acs_map'
checklist.o(.text+0x1a0):checklist.c: undefined reference to `acs_map'
checklist.o(.text+0x1af):checklist.c: undefined reference to `acs_map'
checklist.o(.text+0x1be):checklist.c: undefined reference to `acs_map'
checklist.o(.text+0x1d0):checklist.c: undefined reference to `acs_map'
checklist.o(.text+0x213):checklist.c: more undefined references to `acs_map'
follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [lxdialog] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/views/bmb_linux_dbg2/LINUX/linuxppc/linux-2.4.1-pre10/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/