Subject: Re: [PATCH] Minor changes to control/imstt/platinum/valkyrie/atyfb

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:28:02 +0100

>I _think_ the right solution is to hide the NVRAM vmode/cmode stuff in
>macmodes.c, so all drivers will automagically use it for the default video
>mode.
>
>The same with MAC monitor sense information, just pass it to mac_find_mode().
>
>So mac_find_mode() should do this:
>
>  - if default mode specified, try that
>  - if MAC monitor sense specified, try that
>  - if NVRAM, try that
>  - fall back to default mode database walking

No, the NVRAM stuff is driver dependant unfortunately. It's almost common
among drivers for old stuffs like control, chips, etc..., but that is not
the case for recent MacOS drivers. Apple no longer defines a single mode
table, each video driver is now responsible to have it's own mecanism for
that and for storing whatever proprety for saving the mode to nvram. In
fact; the old nvram location is a hack that won't work in all cases as
it's not in xpram any more, it's part of the "device tree extension" part
of the nvram (persistent properties added to selected nodes of the
device-tree).

Ben.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/