Subject: Re: Highmem on PPC?

From: Val Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:43:08 -0700

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 08:33:16PM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>
> And let me know if you find something ;)

I pulled the latest linuxppc_2_4_devel, ported gemini to it, and ran
an overnight test with:

NFS mounted root filesystem
while (true) do make clean; make -j8 zImage; done
crashme +2000 666 100 8:00:00 2
Flood ping in and out

On a dual 7410 Gemini with 1 GB RAM.  Used all but 70MB of memory.  No
hangs.

The weird thing is that crashme was supposed to run for 8 hours but
it's been running for over 14 hours now.  Any ideas?

Also, I don't think this was a particularly good test of highmem since
I don't think many bounce buffers were used, or that the kernel had
much reason to map/unmap many highmem pages.  Unfortunately, my SCSI
controller isn't working quite right and I can't test with a hard disk
as a result.  Any ideas for stressing the system harder?

-VAL

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/