Subject: Re: 2.5 development

From: Tom Rini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:40:42 -0700

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:11:57PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>
> Now that Linus has started using BK for 2.5 development, I have set up
> a new linuxppc-2.5 tree on ppc.bkbits.net.  Its parent is Linus' tree,
> which means that we can pull in Linus' changes using BK, instead of
> having to apply patches.  The linux_2_5 and linuxppc_2_5 trees are
> dead, and I will remove them once we are sure we have all the changes
> from linuxppc_2_5 committed to the linuxppc-2.5 tree.
>
> The linuxppc-2.5 tree is intended to be a working tree for us in the
> same way that the linuxppc_2_4_devel tree was.  I have checked in
> most of the changes from linuxppc_2_4_devel into linuxppc-2.5.
>
> The current limitations of BK mean that we will not be able to take
> changesets directly from the linuxppc-2.5 tree and send them to
> Linus.  I would suggest that if any of you are working on stuff which
> can be isolated as a discrete unit, you can set up a clone of
> linux-2.5 where you check in all of the changes for that stuff.  Then
> pull from there into your linuxppc-2.5 clone to compile and test, and
> push to the linuxppc-2.5 tree on ppc.bkbits.net when you are ready for
> the rest of us to look at it.  When it is time for those changes to go
> to Linus, we can get Linus to pull from your repository which has just
> those changes (or I can pull and get Linus to pull from my tree).
>
> I have also created for-linus-ppc and for-linus-ppcdrivers trees which
> I will use to send stuff to Linus, so I don't want anyone except
> myself pushing to those trees.  There is also a for-linus-ppc64 tree
> which Anton Blanchard will be using to send ppc64 stuff to Linus, so
> please don't push to that one either.

One other thing, everyone else using the linus tree (and it's
derivations) is using BK 2.1.x, so if you're going to work in these
trees you should probably upgrade too.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/