Subject: Re: 3 Serial issues up for discussion

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:54:14 -0700 (PDT)

From: Remco Treffkorn <[email-masked]>
   Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:46:42 -0700

   Drivers need not fight about minor numbers. That can be simply handled:

   int get_new_serial_minor()
   {
       static int minor;

       return minor++;
   }

   Any serial driver can call this when it initializes a new uart.
   Hot pluggable drivers have to hang on to their minors, and
   re-use.

I don't think it's wise to make hot-plug drivers keep track
of the minors they ever use in such a sloppy way.  Why not
make the get_new_serial_minor() thing have a release method
too and then we can keep track of minor allocation in one
place.

Also if I remmove the module for a serial port driver, those minors
should get reused by the next registered uart too.

Finally we can name this all /dev/serialXXX in keeping with Linus's
grand view of /dev/diskXXX et al. (and keeping ttySfoo around for
compat sake for a little while of course :).

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/