Subject: Re: 3 Serial issues up for discussion (was: Re: Serial core problems on embedded PPC)

From: Tom Rini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:43:41 -0700

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 06:17:02PM +0100, Russell King wrote:

> 1. Serial port initialisation
> -----------------------------
>
> Firstly, one thing to bear in mind here is that, as Alan says "be nice
> to make sure it was much earlier".  I guess Alan's right, so we can get
> oopsen out of the the kernel relatively easily, even when we're using
> framebuffer consoles.
>
> I'm sure Alan will enlighten us with his specific reasons if required.
>
> There have been several suggestions around on how to fix this table:
>
> a. architectures provide a sub-module to 8250.c which contains the
>    per-port details, rather than a table in serial.h.  This would
>    ideally mean removing serial.h completely.  The relevant object
>    would be linked into 8250.c when 8250.c is built as a module.

I think this would work best.  On PPC this would allow us to change the
mess of include/asm-ppc/serial.h into a slightly cleaner Makefile
(especially if we do the automagic <platforms/platform.h> or
<asm/platform.h> bit that's been talked about in the past) magic and we
could use that object file as well in the bootwrapper as well.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/