Subject: Re: PowerMac vs. Intel for PowerPC Development Host

From: Chris Wedgwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:45:34 -0800

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:22:52PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> As an actual data point: my measurements show that a dual 1GHz G4
> powermac is more than twice as fast at compiling PPC kernels as a
> 1.7GHz P4 (single cpu).

Wow... that's *much* better that I would have guessed.  Is the
compiler the same for each?

> You can't fairly compare compiling a PPC kernel on a PPC box with
> compiling an x86 kernel on an x86 box.  GCC does more work compiling
> for PPC than for x86.

I wasn't trying to compare fairly, mostly get the lowest possible
compile time.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:10:48PM -0800, Eugene Surovegin wrote:

> I tried to compile the _same_ PPC kernel for one of boards (440GP
> based).

> Cross compiling on PIII 755Mhz running SuSE        - 16 min
> Cross compiling on G4 PowerBook 1Ghz running YDL   - 6 min

I don't have a PPC host to reasonably compare with, but a 440GP kernel
(linuxppc_2_4_devel) for me builds in 3 minutes 29s (with gcc-2.95).

   --cw

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/