Subject: Re: Runtime Altivec detection

From: Nathan Ingersoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:35:31 -0600

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:24:15PM -0500, Dan Malek wrote:
>
> For some time now the Linux kernel has provided support for emulating
> the 'mfspr rd, PVR' instruction in user space.  Do this once, get the
> PVR and determine the processor type.
>
> You can also just read /proc/cpuinfo and search for the 'cpu :' line.
> It will indicate the processor type and if altivec is supported.
>
> There are probably other ways as well....

Thanks for the info Dan, I'll check into doing it this way. I am still
curious about some of my other questions, such as recovering from a
SIGILL caused by an actual illegal instruction. Anyone willing to chime
in on that?

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Nathan Ingersoll           \\ Computer Systems & Network Coordinator |
| [email-masked]    \\ http://www.ruralcenter.org            |
| http://ningerso.atmos.org/   \\ Minnesota Center for Rural Health    |
------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/