Subject: Re: firewire issues with 2.4.21 from kernel.org ?

From: Bill Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:33:11 -0400

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, vinai wrote:

> Has anyone successfully used the latest kernel.org stable kernel with
> firewire successfully ?? I use an external hard drive to be able to
> take work with me, but with a 2.4.21 kernel, I get the message:
>
> /dev/sdc2 is not a valid block device
>
> While with 2.4.20 (also from kernel.org), it works perfectly. This is
> on an 8500 using a PCI firewire card with a TI chipset, and running
> stock Debian 3.0, except for the kernel upgrade.

I believe that the sbp2 module in 2.4.21 now _requires_ you to run
the rescan-scsi-bus.sh for _all_ FireWire devices, whereas the sbp2
module that came with 2.4.20 didn't require that for any FireWire
devices that were already powered on and attached at the time the
sbp2 module was loaded.

						-Bill

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/