Subject: Linux kernel / USB keyboard scancode problems

From: Frank Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:09:24 +0200

Hi all,

  I recently upgraded my iBook (ppc) to the Debian stock 2.4.21 from the
Debian stock 2.4.19 and I noticed a pleasant change:  where I used to get a
strange keycode in X for the "right" Apple-logo key (222), I now get 116,
which is the same code I get when using an external USB keyboard with 2
Apple-logo keys. (On the iBook, the way to get the right key's code is to
press this odd 'fn' key at the same time as the left logo key. Apple's
description of how these keys should work can be found here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G3/original_iBook/iBook.25.html

  The problems I want to talk about regards similar keys:  the Menu key, and
F13, F14, & F15 (in the positions of Print Screen/SysRq, Scroll Lock, and
Pause on an extended desktop keyboard).

  To get the menu keysym, I'm supposed to press fn and Enter at the same time.
But, instead of getting Menu (X keycode 117), I get 99. Unfortunately, that's
the same keycode as Prior (PageUp), but I think that's an X bug. On the
console with showkey -k, I get 101. With showkey -s, I get 0x5b 0xdb.
Unfortunately, I don't know what these values are supposed to be for Menu

  On the extended keyboard F13, F14, & F15 (in the positions of Print
Screen/SysRq, Scroll Lock, and Pause) also have strange keycodes. In X, they
are keycodes 93, 123, and 127, respectively. With showkey -k, I get 85, 115,
and 119. With showkey -s, I get 0x55 0xd5, 0x73 0xf3, and 0x77 0xf7.
Unfortunately, I don't know what these values are when connected to an i386
Linux box because I don't have access to one right now (though I might be
able to). Mapping these keys to either the equivalent (in position) or
perhaps to "real" F13, F14, and F15 keys would make them actually usable.

  The right Apple-logo key was mysteriously fixed in 2.4.20 or 2.4.21. I'll
help any way I can to get these four other keys fixed, too. Does anyone know
who made the fix to the logo key?

Thanks,

Frank

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/