Subject: Re: Would setting the CONFIG_RTC option break the powerpc kernel on your machine ?

From: Sven Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:26:01 +0100

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:10:42AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> > Also, the todc code knows about many RTC chips, among them, the MC146818
> > seems to be the one used by the rtc.h stuff, and seems to be a generic
> > legacy RTC chip or something. he one i have, builtin the VIA VT8231
> > southbridge is said to be called VT82887, altough i have no docs of
> > those, but the header files found in 2.6 concord. But i seem to have
> > some additional DATE_ALARM, MONTH_ALARM and CENTURY_FIELD registers not
> > found int the MC146818 header file.
>
> I appologize since I ramble a bit too much.  For 2.4, the best fix is
> (1) above.  For 2.6 however, it should be possible to remove chrp_time.c
> and use todc_time.c instead (it is self-contained, wrt nvram read/write,
> iirc) and do some sub-casing to pick the right RTC chip code to use.
> For example on PReP we still case between the two different chips, and
> just call todc_init (iirc) with a different param.  Or something along
> those lines.

Ok, i have looked more, and the MC146818 is ok for my box. don't know
about other chrp boxes though.

There is also the todc code in the 2.4 tree though, so it should also be
possible to do it this way, or would it not ?

Anyway, i will submit a patch against 2.4.23 (from linuxppc_2_4, but it
may also include the pegasos patches Ben has had no time to checkin)
tomorrow.

Next thing i need is a solution for builtin initrd's of bigger sizes.
1.4Mo seem to work, but 2.2Mo break somehow (no init found, but if the
initrd is uncompressed to some partition, it work fine).

Either that or support for standalone initrd on the disk.

Any idea on how to do this ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/