Subject: Re: Intial ramdisk and kernel

From: Matt Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:11:55 -0700

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 06:58:01PM -0500, Ashwin Bihari wrote:
> >With the stock firmware on a PrPMC800, yes, you have to attach the
> >ramdisk to the kernel.  You do this by copying the compressed ramdisk
> >image to arch/ppc/boot/images/ramdisk.image.gz.  Then do a
> >'make zImage.initrd'.  That will deposit a zImage+initrd image into
> >arch/ppc/boot/images/.
>
> Matt,
>
> Ahh OK. Thank you for the details.
>
> >If you have a U-boot port to your board then you can be a lot more
> >flexible since it can load a kernel image and ramdisk separately.
> >
> >-Matt
>
> We are using PPCBug actually. Not sure if you're familiar with it's
> capabilities in comparison to U-boot in ramdisk booting ability.

Yes, very familiar with PPCBug.  That is the "stock firmware" I
mentioned above.  The resultant zImage+initrd image is bootable
from PPCBug.

-Matt

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/