Subject: Re: multiple separate pci bridges ...

From: Sven Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:20:38 +0100

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:56:05PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>
> >
> > Mmm, i understand that the 2.6.x pci domain will make this not
> > necessary. I might be wrong though.
>
> What do those register actually do ? Is there a spec of that
> host bridge I can download somewhere ?

There is a spec, but under NDA, i don't know if you can freely get a
hand on it.

> > > 	If you insert pci cards which contain bridges on them,
> > > 	they only work on the bus 0 slots...
> >
> > bus 1 is used as an agp bus anyway, and i doubt there are many agp
> > graphic cards out there with pci bridges on them. When i inserted my
> > Appian Jeronimo 2000 in that board, it refused to powerup at all, but
> > then, maybe it is drawing too much power or something. After all, it has
> > a 3dlabs gamma and two permedia3 on it.
> >
> > > 	Do you have something like ppcboot or uboot starting
> > > 	your system or just a kernel? If you are using a real
> >
> > Well, there is a customized SmartFirmware OpenFirmware on the board. I
> > even have (non-free though) access to the source of it. The board is
> > mostly a CHRP design.
>
> It has an x86 BIOS emulator for running the firmwares of the video cards ?

Yep, that too. Not sure if the standard OF graphic cards would work too,
i have none of such to test though. tdfx fbdev seems broken with a G4,
since it uses the old access macros, and doesn't do eieios or something
such. Didn't look at recent code though, and don't have voodoo cards
handy anyway.

That said, the OF only uses textmode, since fb8 support would mean vesa
3.0 compliant card limit.

There are some embedded drivers too, but they are not activated i think.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/