Subject: Re: linuxppc trees, what is going on ?

From: Tom Rini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:04:28 -0700

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:21:43PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Last year, there was linuxppc_2_4 and the -benh tree. But since december
> > 24, this tree doesn't seem to be touched anymore, and a new linuxppc-2.4
> > tree is used.
>
> The linuxppc_2_4* trees were set up before Marcelo moved over to using
> BitKeeper to maintain his 2.4 tree.  As such, the linuxppc_2_4* trees
> are not descendents of Marcelo's tree, according to BK, and are
> updated by applying patches to the linux_2_4 tree, which then get
> pulled from there into linuxppc_2_4, and from there into
> linuxppc_2_4_devel and linuxppc_2_4_benh.
>
> Now that Marcelo is using BK, this process means extra unnecessary
> work.  Also, there are problems in those trees that have accumulated
> over the years and that can't be solved in any simple way - there are
> tag conflicts which keep popping up, and files have been renamed,
> which gets confusing when changes made upstream to
> arch/ppc/boot/Makefile get applied by BK to
> arch/ppc/boot/prep/Makefile in the linuxppc_2_4 tree, since BK thinks
> they are the same file.
>
> The linuxppc-2.4 tree is a descendent of Marcelo's tree, and as such
> we can pull changes that Marcelo makes in his tree directly into the
> linuxppc-2.4 tree.
>
> > Are we supposed to move to the linuxppc-2.4 tree, and if so, what is
> > the rationale behind this change.
>
> The idea of the linuxppc-2.4 tree is that it would stay closer to
> Marcelo's tree, which would make my job in sending updates to Marcelo
> easier.
>
> In fact, for any substantial body of work which you want to have me
> send to Marcelo, the best thing is to create a clone of Marcelo's
> linux-2.4 tree, check your changes into that, and make it available
> for me to pull from.  I can then pull from that and push the
> changeset(s) into the tree that Marcelo pulls from.  That tree can
> then also be pulled into the linuxppc-2.4 tree to make the changes
> available there before Marcelo pulls them.
>
> > Furthermore, 2.4.24 was released, and the linuxppc-2.4 now contains
> > TAG: v2.4.24, and a bit later there is a Changeset marked as "Import
> > 2.4.24 final tree". There used to be TAGS like TAG: v2.4.23_linuxppc_2_4
> > which i used to take snapshots for releasing debian powerpc kernel
> > packages. Will there still be those, did they simply get forgotten,
> > should i sync with the v2.4.24 tags, or am i missing something.
>
> 2.4.24 was a bit strange.  Marcelo was doing the 2.4.24-pre series as
> usual, but then released a 2.4.24 final with just a few changes from
> 2.4.23, and transferred all the changes that he had been accumulating
> in 2.4.24-pre into 2.4.25-pre.  The linuxppc_2_4* trees haven't been
> updated to reflect that yet.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards _not_ moving the linuxppc_2_4* and related
trees past where they are not just becaue I have this feeling that
because of what Marcelo did, it'll be an even larger headache than
normal.

OTOH, we could just skip 2.4.24 final and move from 2.4.24-pre3 to
2.4.25-pre5 (w/ the mremap fix tossed in).

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/