Subject: Re: linuxppc trees, what is going on ?

From: Sven Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:18:27 +0100

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:06:31AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 08:32:17AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Ok, anyway linuxppc_2_4 is supposed to be dead. But my point was, from
> > which TAG should i extract kernels from the linuxppc-2.4 to make debian
> > packages ? I tried the v2.4.24 tag, which seemed ok, but the version was
> > still 2.4.24-rc1. I guess this was a problem due to the haste of the
> > 2.4.24 release or something, but it would be nice if it was clear which
> > tag we should export.
>
> There is no tag you can use to do this.  Just like how 'v2.4.24' in the
> old linuxppc_2_4* trees would get you 2.4.24 w/o any PPC changes, the
> same will happen here.

This is getting more complicated ...

Ok, let's say, tomorrow i need to release a debian 2.4.24 powerpc
package, what should i take for this, and which tag/date/whatever should
i use.

Upto now, i was using the linuxppc_2_4 tree, and the corresponding
linuxppc tag. I had the impression from Paul's mail that i should now
take the linuxppc-2.4 tree and the v2.4.24 tag, but from what you tell,
this will include less stuff than what i previously did.

Also, there is the fact that modern powermac will most probably need
stuff from the -benh tree, and that it would be maybe nicer for me to
follow that tree instead.

Ok, back to RTC code now, still wondering how the OF parsing stuff
works, not convinced about reading prom.c and prom.h.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/