Subject: Re: Linux kernel and u-boot for mpc8540

From: Matt Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:12:32 -0700

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:32:48AM +0100, eric lescouet wrote:
>
> Michele,
>
> Support for mpc8540 is already in linuxppc-2.4 tree.
> see ppc.bkbits.net

Actually, the linuxppc-2.4 support is incomplete, there's no TSEC/FEC
driver or other on-chip peripheral drivers in that tree to make it
really useful. You could just use a PCI network card to nfsroot a
filesystem and get started, though.

http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Embedded/Linux/BSP.htm has
an 8560ADS BSP for download...it probably has some drivers for
on-chip peripherals included.

BTW, you'll need the following patch to linuxppc-2.4 to fix outbound
PCI mem cycles:

===== arch/ppc/platforms/mpc85xx_ads_common.c 1.3 vs edited =====
--- 1.3/arch/ppc/platforms/mpc85xx_ads_common.c Thu Jan 22 12:58:25 2004
+++ edited/arch/ppc/platforms/mpc85xx_ads_common.c      Thu Feb  5 09:10:34 2004@@ -316,8 +316,8 @@
        pci->piwar2 = 0;
        pci->piwar3 = 0;

-       /* Setup 128M outbound mem window @ 0xe0000000 */
-       pci->potar1 = 0x00000000;
+       /* Setup 128M Phys:PCI 1:1 outbound mem window @ 0xe0000000 */
+       pci->potar1 = (MPC85XX_ADS_PCI_LOWER_MEM >> 12) & 0x000fffff;
        pci->potear1 = 0x00000000;
        pci->powbar1 = (MPC85XX_ADS_PCI_LOWER_MEM >> 12) & 0x000fffff;
        pci->powar1 = 0x8004401a;       /* Enable, Mem R/W, 128M */

-Matt

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/