Subject: Re: [0/9] Support for old IBM PReP boxes

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:08:48 +0200

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 08:46:11AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> OK.  Thinking back to last time, I asked about being able to blacklist
> some machines Residual Data (since it's crap on some, but I don't have
> the dumps handy) and you mentioned that you'd like to do fixups on the
> data since there's a few cases where the data is mostly good, just with
> one or two incorrect things.  And it doesn't look like either are
> here... yet.
>
> Could you do a 10/9 patch that adds a bit of help to the PREP_RESIDUAL
> config option along the lines of:
> "When this information is incorrect, it could lead to the machine
> behaving incorrectly.  If this happens, please disable PREP_RESIDUAL and
> try again."
>
> And change the existing "Unless you expect to boot on a PReP system,
> there is no need to select Y." to "If you are running a PReP system, say
> Y here, otherwise say N."

As the residual support is runtime switchable can we also have a kernel
boot option?  That way we can switch it off for distro kernels.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/