Subject: Re: 43p-140 install issues

From: Sven Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:41:22 +0100

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 04:38:00PM +0100, Ulrich Teichert wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> [del]
> >Yes, please, i would greatly appreciate it, preferably the 2.6.8 kernel too.
> >Let' try to get this fixed before the sarge release, which is not so far off
> >now.
> 
> OK, 9 hours later I had a current sarge buisnesscard CD image, with
> interesting results. I booted the standard kernel from the cdrom
> with `boot cdrom:`, it came up and failed to load the initrd, so it died
> on the spot as nothing could be mounted. It was detecting that I was using
> a serial console.

You need to boot install/powerpc/vmlinuz-prep.initrd, not the vmlinux one.

> Of course, I forgot to capture that session, so I did it again with logging
> on in kermit. Then I could not boot anything from the CD, but I can still
> boot fine from disk, so it's not a hardware problem. The LED displays F05
> after reading something from the CDROM in this case and the machine hangs.
> Strange.
> 
> I will try to boot via tftp, the firmware seems to be unable to boot
> a specific file from CDROM,

Ah, strange. That said, tftp is the prefered boot method for prep hardware.

Friendly,

Sven Luther