Subject: Re: [FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

From: Marc Dietrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:33:25 +0100

Hallo Sebastian,

Am Dienstag, 4. Januar 2005 15:47 schrieb Sebastian Heutling:
> Hello again Marc,
>
> > > >Can you put a working zImage.prep somewhere on the web (<1.44 MB, so I
> > > > can write it to a floppy disk)?
> > >
> (...)
> It is on: http://sengor.ath.cx/~sheutlin/prep/zImage.prep

hehe! It is booting!!!

Different to your setup, I get no timeouts here (boot.log is attached) - this 
makes me wondering if there are different board revisions out there.

Another thing is,  I tried to compile a stock 2.6.8 kernel with your config 
from "/proc/config.gz" and the modified irq tables in prep_pci.c (I guess you 
also did this modification). This kernel does not boot! It even doesn't show 
the boot loader - it just hangs after finished loading the kernel from floppy 
disk. Either a) I have a corrupt kernel tree, b) my compiler (gcc 3.3.4, 
debian/sarge) has problems or c) you changed something else in your kernel. 

I check a) and I think it is ok.
for b) I'm currently downloading the 3.3.5 compile from unstable debian (the 
you you are using I guess), and will try it again.
c) how does you prep_pci.c looks like, any other changes?

I have to leave this machine alone tomorrow, so I won't be able to do any 
testing further. From what we have now here, it seems that something is 
broken for kernels >2.6.8. It would be nice, if someone can double check 
this.

Best wishes

Marc