Subject: Re: [FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

From: Marc Dietrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:57:25 +0100

Hi all,

I didn't recognise that the kernel from Sebastian - which was working fine 
here - was build from the debian sources (no hint in the kernel version). 
So I build everything again from debian source and fixed the irq's in 
prep_pci.c.

I can confirm now, that this debian+irq_fix kernel 2.6.8 runs fine and 
produces no scsi timeouts!

Something happend in kernels >= 2.6.9 which makes the scsi unusable. Also it 
seems, that even in 2.6.8 kernels and with ide hard disks (Sebastians setup) 
the scsi controller timeouts, but continues to operate - correct?

That's all for now (and this year), because I have to leave this nice machine 
alone and go home. Thanks to all who helped me - maybe see you next year 
again...

Greetings

Marc

Am Mittwoch, 5. Januar 2005 17:55 schrieben Sie:
>
> (...)
>
> Also, apt-get install kernel-patch-debian-2.6.8 should give you the latest
> debian patch. No idea how it applies to the non-free pruned stuff though.
>
> > Do you have any idea, why a stock 2.6.8 kernel (with prep_pci.c patch)
> > doesn't boot a prep image?
>
> Either a missing patch or a wrong .config.
>
> I am personally much more interested in having the debian kernel working
> correctly though.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther