Subject: Re: [PATCH] raid6: altivec support

From: Sven Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:17:33 +0100

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:22:18AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 07:43 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 15:11 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > We should probably "backport" that simplification to ppc32...
> > 
> > Yeah.... I'm increasingly tempted to merge ppc32/ppc64 into one arch
> > like mips/parisc/s390. Or would that get vetoed on the basis that we
> > don't have all that horrid non-OF platform support in ppc64 yet, and
> > we're still kidding ourselves that all those embedded vendors will
> > either not notice ppc64 or will use OF?
> 
> Oh well... i've though about it too, and decided that I was not ready to
> try it. For one, the problem you mention, with the pile of embedded
> junk. I made the design decision to define an OF client interface as the
> standard & mandatory entry mecanism to the ppc64 kernel (except legacy
> iSeries of course, but I don't want that to multiply). That or the
> kexec-like entrypoint passing a flattened device-tree in.
> 
> Also, there are other significant differences in other areas. At this
> point, I think the differences are  bigger than the common code.
> 
> What would be interesting would be to proceed incrementally, having a
> directory somewhere to put the "common" ppc/ppc64 code, and slowly
> moving things there.

It may be too complicated, but what about letting the commong code in ppc, and
moving the ppc32 code into ppc32 ? 

Friendly,

Sven Luther