Subject: Re: [PATCH] Ebony's UBoot awareness

From: Matt Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:27:44 -0700

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:43:57PM -0800, Shawn Jin wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> 
> > Can you use the ocotea/luan approach and create an openbios stub
> > in arch/ppc/boot to create the bi_enetaddr infos? The PIBS stub
> > in arch/ppc/boot does this so we can have one path in the platform
> > file that parses the bootinfos.
> 
> I'd like to help if I can follow you. What does PIBS stand for? What
> is the ocotea/luan approach you were talking about? I thought I
> followed the ocotea approach to set up mac addresses.

PIBS is the firmware on all post 440GP ref brds from IBM/AMCC. Take
a look at how both the stock PIBS f/w and U-Boot are supported on
Ocotea by reviewing arch/ppc/boot/simple/pibs.c and
arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/ocotea.c

In this implementation, ocotea.c always expects the enetaddrs in
a birec. Whether they come direct from U-Boot or from some massaging
by the arch/ppc/boot/simple/pibs.c shim doesn't matter. I suggest
following that model which requires creating something like
arch/ppc/boot/simple/openbios.c with a strong symboled load_kernel()
routine that builds the bi-rec for the stock firmware case.

This hides the ugliness in the boot wrapper glue.

-Matt