Subject: Re: Future of OCP

From: Eugene Surovegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:48:46 -0800

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:04:44PM -0800, Lawrence E. Bakst wrote:
> Q1: OK, so I gather the OCP system which until recently used to be 
> in a separate OCP tree and was recently integrated into 2.6 is going 
> away?

There is a trend use platform device instead of OCP. There are no 
conceptual differences though, just a more convenient way from cross 
platform POV - OCP is PPC specific, platform device - generic 
solution. 

IMHO there is little gain from converting 4xx from OCP platform device 
(except being just like other PPC subarchs :). That's the main reason 
it hasn't been done yet. Matt seems to be busy these days, I don't see 
a point, frankly, so we just waiting for a patch :).

> I had just started to do a 405 EP port of 2.6.11-rc4  based off of 
> the bubinga config.
> 
> Q2: Assuming yes, to Q1, any advice on how I should proceed, 
> continue on with an OCP port or wait for this new stuff?

Well, I wouldn't worry much. These changes will affect mostly device 
drivers and some platform stuff. Board code (which I assume you are 
working on) won't be changed significantly if any. As I said, platform 
device stuff is conceptually similar to OCP, so changes will be mostly 
cosmetic.

> Q3: How does one stay in the loop on this stuff? With only about 3 
> messages posted in this group and none in linuxppc-dev I am clearly 
> in the wrong place. I feel like I missed the conversation. Where was 
> it?

Most discussions happen on IRC (for more info see 
http://www.penguinppc.org). Some people think it's a kind of "elitist 
circle" which requires some special invitation :), which is not true, 
obviously.

--
Eugene