Subject: Re: ppc32: Rework power management take #3

From: Wolfram Quester <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:33:18 +0200

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:15:03AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
> > Today I applied the two mentioned patches to rc5-git6. There were quite
> > a lot of offsets and one time fuzz 2 (hunk 10 in via-pm.c). But still I
> > get a freeze on my PowerBook6,2 (12", 1Ghz from Dec. 2004) when I
> > suspend to disk from X. If I suspend from tty1 the first time, the
> > following suspends work well even from X.
> > 
> > Thanks for your work,
> 
> Bizarre... The kernel is normally first opens a new tty and switches to
> it before suspend. It seems that this opening of a new tty is
> conflicting in some way with X "nv" driver and causing that freeze. Are
> you also using an fbdev like rivafb or nvidiafb or are you defaulting to
> offb ? If you do, Can you try booting with video=ofonly and tell me if
> it helps ?
> 
> Ben.
Normally I use rivafb, but I tried video=ofonly and did not get a
freeze. I tried it three times and I hope that this is good statistics.
With 2.6.12-rc2 and riva fb I got the freeze in about 80% of all initial
suspends, with rc{4,5-git6} and riva fb I had it everytime. But it may
still well be that there is a random component since I learned to
workaround the problem by switching to tty1 and thus don't trigger the
freeze condition that often.

Thanks,

Wolfi