Subject: Problem solved: 11-11-05 2.6.14 on AMCC Yosemite board(boot error)

From: "KylongMu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:01:24 +0800

Dear Denk:

      The problem is solved After I check the document at:

http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RamdiskGreaterThan4MBCausesProblems

It wrote:

14.3.14. Ramdisk Greater than 4 MB Causes Problems

Question: 

I built a ramdisk image which is bigger than 4 MB. I run into problems when
I try to boot Linux with this image, while other (smaller) ramdisk images
work fine. 

Answer: 

The Linux kernel has a default maximum ramdisk size of 4096 kB. To boot with
a bigger ramdisk image, you must raise this value. There are two methods: 

*   Dynamical adjustment using boot arguments:
You can pass a boot argument ramdisk_size=<size-in-kB> to the Linux kernel
to overwrite the configured maximum. Note that this argument needs to be
before any root argument. A flexible way to to this is using U-Boot
environment variables. For instance, to boot with a ramdisk image of 6 MB
(6144 kB), you can define: 

=> setenv rd_size 6144

=> setenv bootargs ... ramdisk_size=\$(rd_size) ...

=> saveenv

If you later find out that you need an even bigger ramdisk image, or that a
smaller one is sufficient, all that needs changing is the value of the
"rd_size" environment variable.

With the first way I modify the boorargs, and all work OK

*    

*	Increasing the Linux kernel default value:
When configuring your Linux kernel, adjust the value of the
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE parameter so that it contains a number equal or
larger than your ramdisk (in kB). (In the 2.4 kernel series, you'll find
this setting under the "Block devices" menu choice while, in the 2.6 series,
it will be under "Device drivers" -> "Block devices".) 

With the second way I only modify the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE, but when it
boot, it's shows this problem still:

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to
kernel.

Last file I wrote:

>What you show is NOT the current code.

     By update with the most recent code, I did new test, and get

Different error message, that I can't solve it, pls check the attachment. 

> U-Boot 1.1.3 (Sep  7 2005 - 09:03:02)

>Please update U-Boot as well. You need this commit included:

>commit f190c11b1f22ff766e046588e5a7bb55f28ae305

>tree 1c41a7beffe8a293174dcb7c28b394349204a047

>parent 4d03a21f2329bb13a9661a23742ac0b77a7a76d5

>author Stefan Roese <[email-masked]> Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:50:16 +0100

>committer Stefan Roese <[email-masked]> Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:50:16 +0100

>    Adjust bd->bi_flashstart on Yellowstone & Yosemite to correct size

>    Patch by Stefan Roese, 05 Nov 2005

>I recommend to use the top-of-tree from the CVS or GIT repositories.

> Linux version 2.6.14 (root@dxp) (gcc version 4.0.0) #1 Fri Nov 11

> 09:51:04 CST 2005

>This is not the current code base. You should  use  top-of-tree  from

>GIT repository (commit ff1df84b3c3154ffdb646941e1c70d17554e3042); the

>kernel will display something like this:

>Linux version 2.6.14-gff1df84b ...

     I update my source code by "cg-update" directly, after many message and
file download it shows "full merged",

I think it is work. But the version only is 2.6.14. 

Thanks a lot!

Kylong Mu