Subject: Re: Platform device model drawback

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:55:32 -0800

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:51:20PM +0300, Vitaly Bordug wrote:
> Hi, Greg!
> 
> While doing "platformization" for one of the Freescale SoC's, I have 
> discovered a serious drawback of the model - it prevents registering 
> driver with the same name.

That's not a "drawback" :)

> For instance, cpm2 on either ppc82xx or ppc85xx is very flexible, and 
> its device fsl-cpm-scc could (and actually are) utilized in the 
> different drivers.
> 
> Those devices will have different bus_id, but pdev->name fields are the 
> same for all the fsl-cpm-scc, only id is different there. Hence the 
> fsl-cpm-scc could be driver_register'ed only once, while it is required 
> several times.

A driver is registered only once, but can be bound to multiple devices
just fine, right?

> Could you please suggest possible solutions for this situation? This is 
> relatively common case among freescale chips, so I guess inventing a 
> workaround is odd, and writing an additional shim to handle CPM device 
> multiplexing  is odd either.

I don't see the problem here.  Are you looking at the new stuff in
2.6.15-rc1?

thanks,

greg k-h