Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] defconfig's shouldn't set CONFIG_BROKEN=y

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:31:12 +0000

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 03:00:01PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> defconfig files are virtually never a configuration for the kernel they 
> are shipped with since they aren't updated every time some configuration 
> option is changed.
> 
> Consider a defconfig with CONFIG_BROKEN=n, and a driver that is enabled 
> in this defconfig gets for some reason marked as broken in the Kconfig 
> file - this will give exactly the same result as the one you describe.

Adrian,

The defconfig files in arch/arm/configs are for platform configurations
and are provided by the platform maintainers as a _working_ configuration
for their platform.  They're not "defconfigs".  They got called
"defconfigs" as a result of the kbuild "cleanups".  Please don't confuse
them as such.

If, in order to have a working platform configuration, they deem that
CONFIG_BROKEN must be enabled, then that's the way it is.

Therefore, I request that either you leave the ARM platform configurations
well alone, or follow the advice I've given so that we can _properly_
assess the impact of your changes.

Thanks.

-- 
Russell King
 Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core