Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] don't allow users to set CONFIG_BROKEN=y

From: Adrian Bunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:51:50 +0100

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:28:41PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Do not allow people to create configurations with CONFIG_BROKEN=y.
> > 
> > The sole reason for CONFIG_BROKEN=y would be if you are working on 
> > fixing a broken driver, but in this case editing the Kconfig file is 
> > trivial.
> > 
> > Never ever should a user enable CONFIG_BROKEN.
>                       ^^^^
> OK, a user, not an expert. Let's assume users don't enable EXPERIMENTAL.

Let's assume users don't have any hardware (e.g. several SATA drivers) 
that requires EXPERIMENTAL...

> But I'd like to at least have the possibility to enable broken drivers, even if
> it's just for compile regression tests.

If a kernel developer really wants to enable BROKEN drivers, my patch 
still gives them the possibility to do so with a trivial edit of
init/Kconfig.

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
> 						Geert

cu
Adrian

-- 

       "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
        of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed