Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] don't allow users to set CONFIG_BROKEN=y

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:01:06 +0000

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:05:52PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 05:31:12PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> > The defconfig files in arch/arm/configs are for platform configurations
> > and are provided by the platform maintainers as a _working_ configuration
> > for their platform.  They're not "defconfigs".  They got called
> > "defconfigs" as a result of the kbuild "cleanups".  Please don't confuse
> > them as such.
> > 
> > If, in order to have a working platform configuration, they deem that
> > CONFIG_BROKEN must be enabled, then that's the way it is.
> 
> if a working platform configuration configuration requires 
> CONFIG_BROKEN=y, the problem is a bug that should be fixed properly.

Maybe they're only broken for a small subset of platforms, and someone
added a BROKEN without properly considering whether it should be global
or not?

I don't disagree with the overall notion that CONFIG_BROKEN should not
be set _where_ _possible_.  However, if it needs to be set to get the
required options, then that's what needs to happen until such time that
the above is corrected.

However - and now to the main bug bear - how can we tell what is really
broken if you _just_ change the default configuration file settings for
CONFIG_BROKEN?  What happens is that, on review, we see a simple change.
We'd assume that it has little impact, and we accept that change.

Maybe a month or two down the line, someone whines that their platform
doesn't work for some reason, and it's tracked down to this and the
resulting fallout from disabling CONFIG_BROKEN.

That means that the original review was _worthless_.  It wasn't a
review at all.

So, what I am trying to get across is the need to show the _full_ set
of changes to a default configuratoin when you disable CONFIG_BROKEN,
which is trivially producable if you run the script I've already posted.

You can even use that in conjunction with your present patch to produce
a patch which shows _exactly_ _everything_ which changes as a result of
disabling CONFIG_BROKEN.  Surely giving reviewers the _full_ story is
far better than half a story, and should be something that any change
to the kernel strives for.

If not, what's the point of the original change?

-- 
Russell King
 Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core